I had a patient before. When he went out in the hospital.. I treated him in their place because he asked me too.. When i started to make an assessment or evaluation. His muscles are so stiff, his elbows and knees are bending, it's so difficult to make it straight.. Spinal Cord Injury patient like "Superman" star, died for secondary complication, he didn't die for having an injury in his spine..
Some people said that when you have Spinal Cord Injury, it is impossible to heal but they are wrong, there's hope.. When I already have a treatment plan for my patient, I didn't have second thoughts, I treated him as if there is hope.. But my patient didn't hope anymore that he will be cured because this is his third time to have a physical therapy treatment.. He is bedridden at all time. A bedridden patient could have a secondary complications. This are the management that I used in treating him:
- I always check his blood pressure all the time. This may lead to stroke, we will not exercise unless his blood pressure will go down.
- He is a complete spastic spinal cord injury patient. Gentle stretching on his elbows and knees x10 counts with 6 sec hold x 3 sets.
- Electrical Stimulation in elbows and knees towards extension x 20 minutes.
- Sitting for 20 minutes
- Bicycle Ergometrics x 20 minutes.
- Standing x 15 minutes with stabilization on his knees.
- Passive Range of Motion in all joints..
After 3 months the patient can now walk and hold something in his hand..
- Walking with walker with +1 maximum assist.
- Standing with +1 max assist.

1 year of treating the patient I can see his progress..
He is still a little bit spastic but at least he is now independent in doing something but needs assistance during walking..